Welcome to the Agricultural Research and Extension Trust (ARET)
The Agricultural Research and Extension Trust (ARET) is Malawi’s premier research institution responsible for conducting research and providing technical and extension services on tobacco.
The Trust was established on 1st September 1995 to foster development and dissemination of technologies for Malawi’s tobacco industry. It amalgamated the services of two institutions, Tobacco Research Institute of Malawi (TRIM) and the Estate Extension Service Trust (EEST), who separately provided research and extension services respectively.
ARET is entirely owned and controlled by tobacco farmers, who provide funding to the Trust through a levy. ARET’s current mandate is to conduct research on tobacco and provide extension, specialist and technical services to the tobacco industry.
“ To promote the sustainable production of tobacco and other high value export agricultural crops for the realization of improved farm profits while conserving natural resources and protecting the environment.”
“ To be a center of excellence in technology development, dissemmination and training in tobacco and other export oriented crops in Malawi and the region.”
- To develop appropriate technologies and acquire information to support and sustain high production levels of good quality tobacco by all farmers.
- To disseminate ‘yield and quality-improving’ technologies and information to all farmers for increased productivity of tobacco.
- To provide technical services to tobacco farmers and other stakeholders for sustaining the profitability of their farming enterprise.
- To generate technologies that reduce cost of production and minimize deterioration of natural resources such as land, soil, trees and water.
- To strengthen linkages between researchers, extension agents, farmers, policy makers and agro-input dealers.
Malawi’s premier research institution
call us: (265) 1 761 148
Number of Farmers serviced
We would like to hear from you.
If you have any questions, please go to the FAQs Section.